As you may have noticed my university is currently taking part in the 90kg rice challenge and if you don’t know what it is then you can read more about it by searching for it in the sidebar.
The university is also selling bags of uncooked rice and here is just the first in a number of ideas for what you could do with it.
Kedgeree Recipe (all amounts are in oz, but you can convert them to g here)
- 1 lb Smoked haddock (we use one piece of fish per person and any smoked fish you like)
- 1 med Onion; finely chopped
- 4 oz Butter
- 1 ts Garam masala
- 1/2 ts Tumeric
- 12 oz Rice (or 3oz per person)
- 4 Hard boiled eggs (one per person halved and served on top)
- 1/2 pt Double Cream; warmed (optional – we don’t bother as it’s rich enough already)
- Black pepper
- Simmer the haddock in salted water for 10 to 15 minutes, but don”t over cook. Drain the fish, saving the cooking water.
- Remove the skin and bones, and flake the fish, keep hot.
- Fry the onion gently in the butter with the garam masala and Tumeric until softened (you can so this while the fish is cooking and keep it on a low heat). Cook the rice in the haddock water until tender, then drain and allow to dry out a little.
- Add the spiced fried onion to the rice and fold in the flaked fish.
- Pour in the cream (if you’ve decided to use it)
- Season with salt, pepper to taste.
- Don’t forget to serve the hard boiled eggs too.